The Firefield Nightfall 2, as its name implies is essentially a night rifle scope. A monocular rifle scope to be precise. If you are looking for a machine that functions as a night vision scope and also a helpmate that simplifies your work, well this is it!
The Firefield Nightfall 2 is a first generation night vision scope. It has a pulsed illuminator which emits at a wavelength of 805 nm. It also features a first generation intensifier tube that has a 36 lines per millimeter resolution. This rifle scope is actually quite smaller than your average rifle scope notwithstanding the gauge you make use of. The device is a first generation night rifle scope.
But just how good is it actually?
Full Specs Sheet
- Weight: 15.2 ounces
- Magnification: 5×50
- Microphone?: No
- Ballistic calculator?: No
- Smart Range Finder?: No
- Mode: Night only
- Battery: 2 AA batteries
- Battery Life: 20 Hours
- Power Pack : no
- Power Pack Life: no
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi?: no
- Angle of View: 12.5 x 9.7
- Field of View: 15 degrees
- Operating Temperature: Range: -4 to 104°F (-20 to 40ºC)
- Objective Lens: 50mm
- Eye Relief: 12mm
- Height: 3.7 in
- Width: 2.4 in
- Resolution: 36 lp/mm
- Weather Resistance: Yes
- Diopter Adjustment Range: Range -5 – 5 dpt
- Refresh Rate: N/A
- Digital: N/A
- Exit pupil: 5 mm
- Infrared Illuminator
- Type: Infrared
- Infrared Illuminator Wavelength: 805 nm
- Infrared Illuminator Operation mode: pulsed
- Infrared Illuminator Beam divergence: 9° minimum
- Adapter: No
- Image Intensifier Tube: No
- Reticle: Yes
BUILD & PERFORMANCE
The Firefield Nightfall 2 is very light and pushes us to believe that less is more. It weighs 15.2 ounces making it perfect to be carried for long distances. It is much lighter than the average rifle scope. You could say it is slightly below the average weight which is a good thing. It’s light weight allows you to hold it with one hand and operate the menu buttons with another. The buttons are carefully placed and though the device is small, you will have no problem locating the buttons.
This rifle scope’s body has a somewhat coarse feel. It can be rotated and adjusted to focus on objects. The focus power has a minimum of 3.3 inches and can focus up to infinity. After your adjustments to improve focus, the diopter comes in. It has adjustment options with which you can further improve your focus.
The Firefield is actually water resistant. The water resistance makes it great for use in different kinds of weather. Pouring rain can no longer prevent you from hunting trips. Apart from just being safe, the Firefield 2 has a secure ‘non-slip’ grip. Even though it’s pouring outside and all over your rifle scope, taking hold of your device will not be a problem. The cover of the scope is made from rubber which gives an all round non-slip grip.
Since this device is monocular, it has a single eye piece. This eye piece does the work of viewing and covering a wide range of view.
The device can magnify up to five times. After magnifying to the full five times power, images are still very clear. With this device, you also have fifteen degrees field of view. With the infrared illuminator, you can shed light on targets in the dark to get a better aim. When magnifying, the details of the target will be shown which helps get a better target.
The Firefield Nightfall 2 can be operated under temperatures from a minimum of minus 4 degrees to a maximum of 104 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to 40ºC). It has an objective lens of 50mm and eye relief of 12mm.
The infrared illuminator, apart from providing adequate lighting also does the job of keeping you hidden.
The Firefield Nightfall 2 is powered by 2 AA batteries that last for a period of 72 hours without the infrared illuminator and a period of 20 hours with it.
The sensor on this device recognizes light.
What’s in The Box?
- Hand Strap
- Carrying Case
- Cleaning Cloth
Pros and Cons of the Firefield Nightfall 2 Thermal Rifle Scope
- Affordable: The Firefield Nightfall is actually one of the most affordable night rifle scope. The fact that it is a first generation does not make it any less useful. Rest assured, if the Firefield Nightfall 2 catches your eye, you will not have to sell your gun to buy it.
- Light: If you do no relish carrying heavy loads, this rifle Scope will make your hunting trips much more enjoyable for you. The Nightfall 2 is lighter than most rifle scopes.
- Well placed buttons: despite the fact that the rifle scope is tiny, the buttons are placed in such a way that a user can operate them with ease.
- High magnification: the magnification power in the Firefield 2 is much higher than expected of a first generation rifle scope.
- Water resistant: This device is water resistant. Whether it is exposed to unpleasant weather, it can function aptly without risking the durability. If you frequently hunt in dire conditions, the Firefield will not fail you.
- Ergonomically designed: This device is ergonomically designed.
- Non slip technology: The Firefield Nightfall features the non slip technology. In the event that the rifle scope is being used under the rain, the coarse non slip technology will enable you grasp any part of the scope without slipping.
- Built in Infrared illuminator: the infrared illuminator built into the device not only lights targets up, but also does a great job of keeping you hidden.
- Large Objective lens: the objective lens fitted in the Nightfall 2 is wide.
- It is monocular: the Firefield is monocular meaning it has only one eye piece.
- It functions only as a night vision scope: with this rifle scope in possession, you still need to have a rifle scope for the day. However considering the price, most would consider it a small price to pay.
The Firefield Nightfall 2 is perfect for you if you engage in frequent hunting trips. Also considering the price, you definitely get your money’s worth. While it may not suit you if you are a professional shooter, it is an immeasurable asset to amateur shooters and every other shooter in between the category of amateur and professional.